Thursday, July 14, 2011

JANE by John M Burns

Started scanning some 25 year old clippings of the Jane comic strip drawn by the splendid John M Burns. He's one of my favourite artists and I've got about a thousand of these daily strips cut from the Daily Mirror. The newsprint is starting to turn brown so I'm going to scan and clean up all of these before they disintergrate. These are the earliest episodes I've got, does anybody know when the strip started in 1985? The first one is labelled T96 and is quite early on I think.


7 comments:

BrownDog said...

Wonderful stuff. I used to have his story of Charles and Diana from the Sun too. A master of drawing the ordinary.

Urban Jointz said...

Really beautiful stuff! Thanks for posting. Never heard of John M Burns but, you've peeked my interest! Definitely going to research more about him when I get the chance!

Robbo said...

brilliant. I used to read these avidly when they were published but haven't seen them for years. keep 'em coming, please.

Robbo said...

just reread the blog. the first strip was published on April 16, 1985. The last strip was in 1990, August or possibly september.

The first strip you posted is around the 5th-10th one published.

Sean Phillips said...

Robbo, do you have scans of those first few episodes I'm missing?

Robbo said...

I don't have any scans of the early strips. i lost most of the ones that I had kept from the paper in a series of house moves. I am trying to rebuild my collection.

Franck.Biancarelli said...

Wow New to me.
Thanks, Sean.